Managing multiple Heroku accounts with heroku-accounts plugin
This example assumes your pre-existing heroku account will be heroku.work and you are adding a new account heroku.personal.
It also describes how to move an app from one to the other, for example, if you have hit your 25-app max and are creating a new account and want to move some of your side projects and experimental apps out of your main account.
- You probably need to use the plugin to create BOTH your old and your new accounts, eg, if you had one to start with you can’t just add a new heroku.personal, you need to create heroku.work to replace your old one
- You’ll need to reassign your old apps to your heroku.work
- if you are moving an app, don’t assign the app to heroku.personal (using heroku accounts:set personal) until after you transfer the app using the heroku sharing commmand as described https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/transferring-apps
So the steps you probably need are:
- Install the heroku-account plugin
- Go to heroku.com and create your new account (if you don’t have a second account already)
heroku accounts:add work --autoto create a new heroku.work account to replace your old default account (so use the same credentials you’ve been using all along). You ALSO need to upload your new key to heroku: heroku keys:add ~/.ssh/identity.heroku.work.pub
heroku accounts:add personal --autoto create a new heroku.personal account (eg use your new credentials for your new heroku account). You ALSO need to upload your new key to heroku:
heroku keys:add ~/.ssh/identity.heroku.personal.pub
- For each app,
cdto the project root then run
heroku accounts:set work(all that does it setup git to use your heroku.work, which is (unin this example) the same heroku account you’ve been using all along, only now it’s called heroku.work.
- If you want to move an app from heroku.work to heroku.personal,
(a) add the new heroku account as a collaborator with
(b) in your local directory, switch the app to heroku.personal using
heroku accounts:set personal
(c) transfer** the app from the old account to the new account using
(d) remove the old email address collaborator (if you want to) using
** Note the heroku link I provided says there are special requirements to move an app with any paid resources. Generally, remove the paid resoures, then add them back later, or have support do it.